Enter a half-millennium old restaurant!
In 1934, a wine maker bought the place, which then became a tavern.
The name “Pfifferbriader” evokes in Alsatian “the Whistling Brothers” or “Flute Players“. In fact, in the Middle Ages, storytellers, entertainers, jugglers and singers traveled from town to town in Alsace to show off their talent during festivities or stately meals.
One of these low buildings has survived, frequented mainly by nobles of the region, who came to buy wine and bring their bread to eat.
The atmosphere is warm and authentic with its wooden tables dressed in the typical Alsatian “kelsch” fabric, complemented by traditional decorative objects. The rustic character is assured with its low ceilings and exposed beams.
In the windows, the stained-glass represent the life of the wine makers and the three emblematic castles of Ribeauvillé.
The Pfifferbriader or “Pfiff” as it is called by locals, embodies the soul of the Winstubs.