Bay window of Le Gruber
The Brasserie Le Gruber has seen a parade of prestigious names and tasty dishes.
On the door is mentioned the year 1651 which corresponds to the renovation of the latter, the ground floor was built in 1760. The inscriptions on the bay window indicate that the restaurant was called “Zuem Kühlen”. In the 18th century, the premises were occupied by the German Café, one of the oldest in the city. Upstairs you can admire the satirical works of Tomi Ungerer in a lounge named after him.
The Stained-Glass windows of the Pfifferbriader
The Pfifferbriader is located at the back of the buildings of the Old Butchers of Strasbourg on the square which bears its name “Place du Marché aux Cochons de Lait”.
Passed into the hands of a wine merchant in 1934, the establishment has kept track of its past on its stained-glass windows and murals. They represent the life of the winemakers and the three emblematic castles of Ribeauvillé.
Strasbourg Cathedral is an absolute masterpiece of Gothic art.
The 142-metre high spire is a masterpiece of lightness and elegance. Until the 19th century, the cathedral was the highest building of all Christendom. On the outside, the façade is the largest picture book of the Middle Ages. Inside, the slender nave inspires contemplation. The astronomical clock from the Renaissance period, whose mechanism dates from 1842, is a masterpiece in itself. The procession of the Apostles can be admired every day at 12h30.
The Raven Square
Listed as a historical monument since 1930, the Raven Square is one of the most representative examples wood-paneled architecture of the Renaissance.
An inn was in operation from the 16th to the 19th century and has seen the great names of the time (the Duke of Bavaria, the Marshal of Turenne, the King of Poland, the Emperor of Germany…). Thanks to an exemplary restoration, the complex has regained its original function and now houses a prestigious hotel establishment.
The Gutenberg Square
The Hotel of the Chamber of Commerce, Renaissance, and the statue of the German printer Johannes Gutenberg, by David d’Angers, stand there.
At the crossroads of the Grandes Arcades Street, the Hallebardes Street and the Vieux Marché aux Poissons Street, the Gutenberg Square is an obligatory passage to get to the Cathedral or to go further ahead in the center of the city.
The Kléber Square
Considered one of the hearts of Strasbourg, it is bordered to the north by the Aubette, an 18th century building which hosts many cultural events.
It is also well known for its Christmas market, which lights it up every year at the end of November. This square is surrounded by shops and monuments and in its center sits a statue of General Kleber, a glorious child of the city. The base of the statue lists his titles of glory.
La Petite France (Little France)
It is the most picturesque district of old Strasbourg.
Fishermen, millers and tanners used to live and work in this waterfront area. The magnificent half-timbered houses date from the 16th and 17th centuries. Their sloping roofs open onto attics where skins were once dried.
The station and its glass roof
With the arrival of the TGV Est in June 2007, the Strasbourg station had become too small.
It was therefore renovated and inaugurated on 5 November 2007. The original station, built in 1883, has been preserved but enlarged thanks to a huge glass roof, the work of the architect Jean-Marie Duthilleul, awarded with a Brunel Award in 2008. At night, it disappears to reveal the original pink sandstone façade.
L'oeuvre de Notre-Dame Garden
The Gothic garden was created by the founder of the Hans Haug Museum in 1937.
This reconstruction is part of the tradition of medieval gardens handed down by the Rhine painters and engravers of the 15th century. Restored in the 1990s, the garden has nine rectangular modules at its center combining medicinal and ornamental plants.