L'Oriel du GruberRead more
L'Oriel du Gruber
Le Gruber brasserie has a roll-call of prestigious diners and tasty dishes. On the door is is inscribed the year 1651 which corresponds to the year it was made. The ground floor itself was built in 1760. The inscriptions on the oriel window indicate that the restaurant used to be called ZuemKühlen. In the 18th century the premises were occupied by the Café Allemand, one of the oldest in the city. Upstairs you can admire the satirical works of Tomi Ungerer in a room bearing his name.
Les Vitraux du PfifferbriaderRead more
Les Vitraux du Pfifferbriader
The Pfifferbriader is located at the rear of the old butchers' shops in Strasbourg on the square that is aptly named 'Place du Marché aux Cochons de Lait' (Suckling Pig Market Square). It passed into the hands of a wine merchant in 1934 and the restaurant has kept track of its past through stained-glass windows and murals. They represent the lives of winegrowers and the three iconic castles of Ribeauvillé.
L'Orchestrion du LohkäsRead more
L'Orchestrion du Lohkäs
This giant mechanical organ is called an "orchestrion", and is a gigantic barrel organ, dating from the beginning of the twentieth century signed by the Popper workshops in Leipzig. It is the last operating mechanical organ of its kind and is admired daily.
La CathédraleRead more
Strasbourg Cathedral is an absolute masterpiece of Gothic art. The 142-metre-high Spire is a masterpiece of lightness and elegance. Until the 19th century, the Cathedral was the highest building of all Christendom. Externally, the façade is the biggest medieval picture book in the world. Inside, the soaring nave inspires contemplation. The astronomical clock from the Renaissance has a mechanism dating from 1842 and is a masterpiece in itself, where the procession of Apostles can be admired every day at 12:30.
Place du CorbeauRead more
Place du Corbeau
The cour du Corbeau was listed as a historical monument as early as 1930 and is one of the most representative examples of half-timbered Renaissance architecture. It was an inn from the 16th to the 19th century when it saw the big names of the era pass through (including the Duke of Bavaria, the Maréchal de Turenne, the King of Poland and the German Emperor). Because of its excellent food the place has regained its original function and is home to a prestige hotel.
Place GutenbergRead more
This has the Renaissance chamber of commerce building and the statue of the German printer Johannes Gutenberg, by David d'Angers. At the crossroads of rue des Grandes Arcades, the rue des Hallebards and the rue du Vieux Marché aux Poissons, the place Gutenberg is the best way to get the Cathedral or further into the centre.
La Place KléberRead more
La Place Kléber
Considered one of the central points of Strasbourg, the place Kléber is bordered to the North by the Aubette, an 18th-century building, and hosts many cultural events. It is also well known for its Christmas market which illuminates it with all its lights every year from the end of November. This square is surrounded by shops and monuments and in its centre there sits a statue of General Kléber, a famous son the city. The statue's pedestal lists his achievements.
L'Église Saint-ThomasRead more
Dedicated to protestant worship, the Church of Saint Thomas is a very fine example of Alsatian Gothic art. Its choir is home to the impressive mausoleum of the Maréchal de Saxe: a masterpiece of 18th century baroque funerary art.
La Petite FranceRead more
La Petite France
This is the most picturesque part of old Strasbourg. Fishermen, millers and tanners used to live and work in this neighbourhood built on the water. The magnificent half-timbered houses date from the 16th and 17th centuries. Their sloping roofs have open attics where skins were once dried.
La GareRead more
With the arrival of the TGV Est in June 2007, Strasbourg railway station became too small. It was therefore redesigned and reopened on 5 November 2007. The original station, built in 1883, was retained but expanded with a huge canopy, designed by the architect Jean-Marie Duthilleul, who received a Brunel Award in 2008. At night it disappears to reveal the original façade of pink sandstone.
Place de La RépubliqueRead more
Place de La République
This large square resembles a park, and was built between 1871 and 1918. It is located in the heart of the "German quarter". After the French defeat of 1870, Germany planned to make Strasbourg the capital of the Reichsland of Alsace-Lorraine. Around it: the Palais du Rhin, the university library, the National Theatre are majestic examples of this imperial architecture. In the centre stands the monument to the dead, erected in 1936 by the sculptor Drivier. It represents a mother with her two sons, the one dead for France, one for Germany - a dramatic situation experienced by the people of Alsace during both world wars.
Le Jardin Notre-DameRead more
Le Jardin Notre-Dame
This Gothic garden is a creation of Hans Haug, the founder of the Museum in 1937. This reconstruction fits in the tradition of medieval gardens illustrated by Rhenish painters and engravers from the 15th century. Restored in the 1990s, the Garden features at its centre nine rectangular beds grouping medicinal plants and ornamental plants.
Le Parc de L'OrangerieRead more
Le Parc de L'Orangerie
The oldest park in the city is the favourite venue of lovers, joggers and Sunday strollers. Children love its play areas, its circuit of old cars, its mini-farm and its zoo (free). This is where storks, which were threatened with disappearance for a while, have been successfully reintroduced. More than 800 chicks have hatched since 1971. This beautiful bird is the symbol of Alsace and can be admired here in all seasons. The lake is adorned with a great romantic waterfall and allows you to indulge in the joys of canoeing. The Pavillon Joséphine hosts exhibitions and temporary events. The Buerehiesel is a pretty half-timbered house with a gourmet restaurant. The bowling alley and its terrace complete the range of leisure activities.